Monday, March 8, 2010

Finally...a Peanut Sauce Recipe to Write Home About




The Meat Lover's Vegetarian Cookbook
Steven Ferry and Tanya Petrovna

Here's the recipe from the book:

Makes 4 cups
10 minutes

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped medium
6 cloves garlic, sliced finely
3/4 cup roasted peanuts
1 14-oz can of coconut milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp red chili flakes

1. Saute onions and garlic in oil until transparent.
2. Place onion and garlic mixture in a blender or food processor, together with other ingredients. Blend thoroughly into smooth paste. Serve warm.

Here's how I did improv with the ingredients I had laying around:

I used oat milk instead of coconut milk and bragg's instead of soy sauce and ground peanut butter instead of whole peanuts and a combo of agave and maple syrup. Oh, and no chili flakes...SO, one could say this is an entirely different recipe! All that is missing are cilantro and green onions!

No comments:

Post a Comment